Team TAWI, winners in the education category of the 2023 Imagine Cup world finals qualifying round have gone on to win the World Championship. The team qualified from 48 competing global teams to be selected among the top 3 to compete in the World Championship at Microsoft Build. They win the grand prize of USD 100,000, a mentorship session with Microsoft’s Chairman and CEO, Satya Nadella, and Level 2 access to Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub.
They faced winning teams from the Americas and Asia regions; Eupnea from the United States, and CS-M Tool from Thailand, respectively. Winning the competition showcasing their solution that seeks to help people with auditory processing disorder communicate more easily. It leverages speech recognition tools from Azure Cognitive Services and OpenAI Whisper to enhance speech, reduce background noise, and transcribe speech to text in real-time.
Team TAWI consists of Muna Said Nomy, John Onsongo Mabeya, Syntiche Musawu, and Zakariya Hussein, The Applied Computer Technology and Data Science and Analytics undergraduate students of the United States International University (USIU) – Africa in Nairobi, Kenya have become the second African team to win the competition. The former also from USIU became the first student team from Africa to win the competition in 2021.
The team will work to take their solution to the next phase and scale it. Watch the full 2023 Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship event and hear more about their solution.
Check out what’s new on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to follow for the latest videos and news in the ecosystem.
Check out other Microsoft stories making the news across Africa and the Middle East region.
- Kenya team wins Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship
- IT teams at risk of being caught unawares by new OT threat, according to Microsoft’s latest threat intelligence
- The ROG Ally: A Next-Gen handheld gaming machine
- New AI solutions and improvements to Microsoft Cloud for Nonprofit
- PowerShot V10, Canon introduces lightweight and easy-to-use vlogging camera
- Cross-border payments in Africa, the state in 2023
- LG gram SuperSlim: The Thinnest LG gram Ever
- Young African Leaders Initiative and Microsoft Africa Development Centre partner to improve youth digital skills
- Microsoft to host maiden Xbox Game Studios Game Camp in Africa
- Here are simple ways to fix Windows 11 problems