Team TAWI, winners in the education category of the 2023 Imagine Cup world finals qualifying round have gone on to win the World Championship. The team qualified from 48 competing global teams to be selected among the top 3 to compete in the World Championship at Microsoft Build. They win the grand prize of USD 100,000, a mentorship session with Microsoft’s Chairman and CEO, Satya Nadella, and Level 2 access to Microsoft for Startups Founders Hub.
They faced winning teams from the Americas and Asia regions; Eupnea from the United States, and CS-M Tool from Thailand, respectively. Winning the competition showcasing their solution that seeks to help people with auditory processing disorder communicate more easily. It leverages speech recognition tools from Azure Cognitive Services and OpenAI Whisper to enhance speech, reduce background noise, and transcribe speech to text in real-time.
Team TAWI consists of Muna Said Nomy, John Onsongo Mabeya, Syntiche Musawu, and Zakariya Hussein, The Applied Computer Technology and Data Science and Analytics undergraduate students of the United States International University (USIU) – Africa in Nairobi, Kenya have become the second African team to win the competition. The former also from USIU became the first student team from Africa to win the competition in 2021.
The team will work to take their solution to the next phase and scale it. Watch the full 2023 Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship event and hear more about their solution.
Check out other Microsoft stories making the news across Africa and the Middle East region.
- YouTube wouldn’t build an app for the Apple Vision Pro, so Someone did! Introducing Juno
- What is Microsoft 365?
- Get to know Norton Genie app?
- Microsoft Copilot on iOS and Android get upgrade
- Microsoft’s new OneDrive design is out now!
- Sudo command comes to Windows 11
- Google has announced that its first cloud region in Africa is now open for business.
- Apple Vision Pro Review
- Apple’s first-party Podcasts app
- What is Amazon presents Diffuse to Choose?