Microsoft is working with the World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) to support Savings and Credit Cooperatives Societies (SACCOs) with digital finance solutions to improve and increase credit union lending to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Kenya.
The company held a two-day ideation workshop with 16 SACCOs in Mombasa seeking to understand the digital transformation challenges faced by the lending sector. With a strategic partnership execution program drawn to address the concerns raised during the event.
Microsoft says digital transformation will firstly build trust among members and improve loan repayments. Secondly, It will enable informed decision making on members or clients. Thirdly, the transformation will enable better credit scoring letting SACCOs manage risks and improve their bottom line.
Microsoft announced an MoU with WOCCU last year to help accelerate digital transformation within the savings and credit sector. Where both parties will work to establish a framework for the digital transformation of SACCOs in Kenya. Microsoft will leverage programs to close the skills gap and develop a training curriculum to accelerate the adoption. It will also identify local partners to support the development of solutions and business strategies within the sector. Whilst WOCCU will deploy its TIFI lending methodology and SME Finance Toolkit.
“COVID-19 has accelerated the need for SACCOs to evolve and embrace digital channels. Empowering them to embark on this journey is not only critical to their sustainability but also the key to unlocking further growth potential within the region,” said Megan O’Donnell, WOCCU Vice President of Financial Inclusion.
Both organizations will develop a proof of concept that can be tested and deployed once they meet sector demands.
Check out what’s new on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to follow for the latest tech videos. Also, check out the latest news trending in the MEA technology ecosystem.
- Microsoft launches student hackathon, targets solutions for the health sector
- 3 things web designers can learn from the gambling industry
- Microsoft, OCP Africa to improve farmer productivity with digital agriculture platform
- Usage Tips: How Does Technology Affect Your Health?
- The top 10 biggest events in AI in the month of March
- Microsoft launches technical skill-enhancement program for university lecturers.
- Students from Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa qualify for the 2023 Microsoft Imagine Cup world finals
- TECNO MegaBook S1 2023, device specifications and price
- Microsoft and OpenAI: A Winning Combination for AI Era?
- Everyone thinks Microsoft + OpenAI will beat Google in the AI Battle, will that happen?
One thought on “Microsoft, WOCCU support SACCOs with digital solutions to improve SME lending in Kenya”