Certiport is announcing the winners of the 2021 Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) World Online Championship. The 19th edition of the competition took place virtually from November 9-11, due to the pandemic. It however attracted more than 200,000 contestants from 108 countries. Six people emerged first place winners with a $7,000 cash prize across six categories. Second and third place winners also won $3,500 and $1,500 cash prizes respectively.
The competition is open to students from the ages of 13 to 22 across the globe. They compete with peers to prove their superior skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This year, regional competitions were held worldwide and 160 finalists from 33 countries qualified to compete in the final round of the competition.
Four students from Africa emerged top ten winners this year. Paras Girish Khetiya from Kenya came tenth place in the Microsoft Word (Microsoft 365 Apps and Office 2019) category. Mahmoud Elkhoshet, Egypt, sixth place in the Microsoft Word (Office 2016) category. Ankain Lesly Chuo, Cameroon, tenth place in the Microsoft PowerPoint (Microsoft 365 Apps and Office 2019) category. Vanessa Obiedo, Nigeria, tenth place in the Microsoft Excel (Office 2016) category.
Next year, Certiport will host the 2022 Microsoft Office Specialist World Championship at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel in Anaheim, CA, from July 24-27, 2022. To learn more about the event, search the event hashtag #MOSWC on Facebook and Twitter.
The 2021 Microsoft Office Specialist World Champions are:
Microsoft Word® (Microsoft 365 Apps and Office 2019)
- First place: Ondrej Cach, Czech Republic
- Second place: Man Weng Tong, Macau
- Third place: Qiao Yan Yang – Malaysia
Microsoft Word® (Office 2016)
- First place: Huy Nguyen Quoc, Vietnam
- Second place: Leyao Huang, China
- Third place: Peng Yu Lin, Taiwan
Microsoft PowerPoint® (Microsoft 365 Apps and Office 2019)
- First place: Andrew Chuang Saladin, USA
- Second place: Ma. Jessa Gomez, Philippines
- Third place: Ka Hin Hung, Hong Kong
Microsoft PowerPoint® (Office 2016)
- First place: Masaharu Komiyama, Japan
- Second place: Carson Mulvey, USA
- Third place: Siddh Vora, India
Microsoft Excel® (Microsoft 365 Apps and Office 2019)
- First place: Ami Nakazono, Japan
- Second place: Joaquin Saul Rivera Rivera, Peru
- Third place: Viktoria Zhelyazkova Kabaivanova, Bulgaria
Microsoft Excel® (Office 2016)
- First place: Songyao Luo, China
- Second place: Phat Nguyen Duc, Vietnam
- Third place: Ka Kiu Chan, Hong Kong
“In 2020, we missed the opportunity to showcase the incredible talents and accomplishments of these MOS Champions due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we couldn’t let the global pandemic stand in the way in 2021,” said Ray Murray, Vice President and General Manager – IT, Pearson VUE.
“It is inspiring to see students from 33 countries come together virtually to ‘speak Microsoft’. The winners receive extra praise, but every single student who entered has earned a valuable workforce credential that will help them find success in college and in their career. The pandemic has highlighted the importance of IT skills for tomorrow’s professionals and it’s incredible to see so many young people get introduced to IT certifications through the MOS World Championship.”
“The Microsoft Office Specialist World Championship is one of my favorite events because these students are thrilled to compete and they inspire all of us with their competitive spirit and crowning achievement,” said Leigh Creswell – Director, Public Sector Skills, Microsoft. “These young people who worked to earn valuable industry-recognized certifications represent a bright future for our industry and a solid foundation for the future skilled global workforce.“
Certiport is the leading provider of performance-based IT certification exams that accelerate academic and career opportunities for learners.
Check out other stories making the news in the technology ecosystem in Africa and the Middle East.
- This 7-in-1 smart multi-plug outlet extender does it all
- Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Innovation Conference 2022
- My emotional attachment to Apple Watch Ultra
- The Beautiful link between Technology and Football
- Drop: a new way to send files, notes across mobile and PC devices
- Microsoft to train and support Moroccan student developers, startups, SMEs
- Microsoft hosts Startups Summit in Cape Town
- Microsoft trains Omani youth in cloud, data, and AI
- Have you tried Apple’s iPhone 14 satellite connectivity? It’s magical.
- Algiz 10XR, new ultra-rugged 10-inch Windows tablet