Technology for Social Change and Development Initiative, Tech4Dev, is a Nigerian non-profit organization working with Microsoft to skill more women with tech skills.
The partnership program with Microsoft Nigeria has seen women trained in coding and deep tech skills. Through an experiential learning initiative called the Nigerian Women Techsters.
With partners like Microsoft we have been able to train 2475 women across 12 states in Nigeria for free, says Diwura Oladepo, Executive Director Tech4Dev.
Nigerian Women Techsters takes women from varying backgrounds through a cohort of 12 weeks.
Training them in coding and analytical skills. As well as exposing them to available employment and entrepreneurship opportunities within the technology space.
The digital skill tracks covered include, web and mobile application development, games development and embedded systems.
Fatima Ahmed a participant of the Tech4Dev Nigerian Women Techsters program shares her experience.
Fatima is a chemistry graduate from the University of Ilorin. Like many other Nigerians, she couldn’t get any job after her national youth service program. She recalls a friend telling her about the opportunities in tech.
“Coincidentally at that time another friend told me about the Nigerian Women Techsters program. Where she learnt how to code and build websites. Seeing what she could do i was motivated to apply.”
She shares gaining technical and soft skills. Learning how to code and build websites, communicating effectively and working in teams.
I thought i was just coming to learn new skills and go back to apply for jobs. But during the training, i started getting job opportunities.
Today, i work as a technical support engineer at Tek Experts, where i provide cloud-based solutions. I am glad i took a bold step to come for the Nigerian Women Techsters training.
Check out other stories making the news across Africa and Middle East region.
- Unleashed, Watch Apple Event – October 18
- GITEX Global 2021, Microsoft showcases next-generation smart city solutions
- Azure availability zones now available in South Africa
- TECNO to deploy Android 12 on HiOS 8.5 for CAMON 17 and PHANTOM X
- 15 startups selected for the first cohort of the Microsoft GrowthX Accelerator program
- 400k South Africans participate in Microsoft skills initiative
- Nedbank launches low bandwidth DigiSkills training platform in partnership with Microsoft
- Unboxing, First Impression and Review of the Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
- itel Spirit 1 laptop, full device specs and price
- How to watch today’s Google for Africa event live stream