Global web innovator Opera announces its African user base has reached a record 150 million monthly active users.
The company notes this feat was recorded in Q3 of 2020 and shows an eighteen per cent year on year growth across all their products.
Jørgen Arnesen, Opera EVP of Mobile Browsers believes two things contributed to Opera’s continued growth across Africa in 2020. These are optimizing apps to solve everyday challenges and developing better apps with great features and personalized content.
In Q3-2020, the Opera user base in Africa showed a strong 18% growth of YOY across all our products. Reaching a combined user base of 150 million monthly active users. We see significant growth in our apps like Opera Mini and News, and we’re confident that our growth will continue next year.Jørgen Arnesen
Some of the things opera did to grow it user base in Africa include; adding a localised news channel dedicated to COVID-19 on Opera Mini and News.
The company also boasts that its News Hub has become the leading publisher of local African content with about 10,000 self-published articles every day.
Jørgen also shares what the company is doing to keep its users and promises more exciting announcements soon.
“We are continuing to optimize our products to offer our loyal users more reasons to use Opera. Users across many African countries can download and stream music in our Free Music channel.Jørgen Arnesen
We’ve made it easier for users to monitor their data usage via the Data Savings module on the home page.”
Check out other stories making the news in the ecosystem.
- 1150 students participate in UmojaHack Africa 2021 ML hackathon
- Microsoft is inviting female software engineers in Nigeria and Ghana to participate in a SE skills workshop
- 60 students across Nigeria and Kenya participate in Microsoft Hackathon
- Zimbabwean company gets Microsoft OEM certification, produces Infinity laptop and desktop computers
- Nigerian tech startup develops online meeting solution
- 1.1M Africans acquire digital skills during COVID-19
- Kenya student team qualifies for Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal Wireless Headphones for Xbox, price and specs
- 30 million learners participate in the free Microsoft digital skills initiative
- Accelerex to launch RexPay and RexRetail in Q2 of 2021