Global web innovator Opera announces its African user base has reached a record 150 million monthly active users.
The company notes this feat was recorded in Q3 of 2020 and shows an eighteen per cent year on year growth across all their products.
Jørgen Arnesen, Opera EVP of Mobile Browsers believes two things contributed to Opera’s continued growth across Africa in 2020. These are optimizing apps to solve everyday challenges and developing better apps with great features and personalized content.
In Q3-2020, the Opera user base in Africa showed a strong 18% growth of YOY across all our products. Reaching a combined user base of 150 million monthly active users. We see significant growth in our apps like Opera Mini and News, and we’re confident that our growth will continue next year.Jørgen Arnesen
Some of the things opera did to grow it user base in Africa include; adding a localised news channel dedicated to COVID-19 on Opera Mini and News.
The company also boasts that its News Hub has become the leading publisher of local African content with about 10,000 self-published articles every day.
Jørgen also shares what the company is doing to keep its users and promises more exciting announcements soon.
“We are continuing to optimize our products to offer our loyal users more reasons to use Opera. Users across many African countries can download and stream music in our Free Music channel.Jørgen Arnesen
We’ve made it easier for users to monitor their data usage via the Data Savings module on the home page.”
Check out other stories making the news in the ecosystem.
- Unleashed, Watch Apple Event – October 18
- GITEX Global 2021, Microsoft showcases next-generation smart city solutions
- Azure availability zones now available in South Africa
- TECNO to deploy Android 12 on HiOS 8.5 for CAMON 17 and PHANTOM X
- 15 startups selected for the first cohort of the Microsoft GrowthX Accelerator program
- 400k South Africans participate in Microsoft skills initiative
- Nedbank launches low bandwidth DigiSkills training platform in partnership with Microsoft
- Unboxing, First Impression and Review of the Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
- itel Spirit 1 laptop, full device specs and price
- How to watch today’s Google for Africa event live stream