Join Microsoft Africa Development Center software engineer and program managers as they share their journey and experiences. Also, get to know the Microsoft product and services they are and have been working on. Finally, find out what it will take for you to join them in this virtual meetup.
There will be two virtual meetup sessions for each site location. The site in Lagos focuses on building Microsoft AI and Mixed reality services. Whilst the Nairobi team builds solutions and experinces for Windows and Microsoft 365. Click to register to participate in the event. There will be a Q&A session. so come with questions.
Introducing the Africa Development Center in Nigeria was to take place on Wednesday, 21 October at 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm West Africa Time (GMT +1). But Microsoft has since postponed the Nigeria event and will be announcing a future date. Read details of this below.
Then Introducing the Africa Development Center in Kenya on Thursday, 22 October 2020 at 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm East Africa Time (GMT +3).
“Our team has been thoroughly assessing the recent situation (ENDSARS protest) in Nigeria, and based on the latest news, we decided to postpone our live event for a more suitable date in the future. We will come back with regular communications regarding the potential date of the event.“
Microsoft Africa Development Centre history
Last year Microsoft committed to investing about 100 million dollars in a global development centre in Africa. The Microsoft Africa Development centre initiative launched with two sites to be located in Nairobi, Kenya and Lagos, Nigeria. With plans to recruit 500 software engineers by 2023 to staff the centres.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella notes the Microsoft Africa Development Center will be at the forefront of building innovative solutions that benefit Africa and the entire world.
This year the Microsoft software engineers in Africa celebrated their first anniversary. The Lagos team also saw Azure Object Anchors mixed reality service for HoloLens become available in private preview as announced at Microsoft Ignite 2020.
Update October 16, 6:00 PM GMT: Article update with additional details on postponement of Nigeria event.
- Uber to host Tech For Safety Summit 2020 on safety, technology, innovation in Africa
- TD Tech Experience Centre to host Microsoft technology envisioning sessions
- New head for Microsoft 4Afrika graduates and IT pros skills program
- Liquid Intelligent Technologies appoints new CEO of South Africa operations
- What is it like being a Microsoft software engineer in Africa? Find out amazing experiences, products they are building
- Amazon announces launch Of New CloudFront Edge Location in Kenya
- Huawei brings seamless, contactless payments to 20 African countries in new partnership with Mondia Pay
- New Safaricom app brings security, better UI, more user control
- Facebook to open first Africa engineering office in Lagos, Nigeria
- U.S. State Department announces the U.S. – Africa Tech Challenge