South Africa based Ukheshe, which came in second, provides a bridge between the card and the cash economy. It has created the world’s first card acceptance platform that allows unbanked merchants/traders to accept and make digital payments.
Third place, Growth Factor provides trade financing solutions designed for Micro-Small/Medium Entities (MSMEs) to encourage financial inclusion and growth. Its
Ade Ayeyemi, Ecobank Group CEO, congratulated the winners for their innovation and welcomed all the 2020 fellows. “The quality of the products and pitches we saw in the final this year
Winning the 2020 Ecobank Fintech Challenge
Dennis Asamoah Owusu, CEO and Cofounder of Nokwary Technologies commented on his victory: “I was beyond excited. Our company is rather young and to be recognized like this on such a stage was really exciting as well as a validation for our focus on creating inclusive technology right from the start. It is also very encouraging to note that a major bank like Ecobank places such a premium on inclusion and is willing to back and promote innovative and cutting-edge technologies towards that purpose. We are looking to work together with Ecobank to bring an AI-first digital banking platform over WhatsApp, as well as other innovative solutions to Ecobank’s customers.”
This year’s Finalists made it through an extremely competitive pool of over 600 applicants across Africa, Europe, North America and Asia. All ten (10) finalists have officially been inducted into the Ecobank Fintech Fellowship, a one-year program which will give them the opportunity to explore opportunities for commercial partnerships with the Ecobank Group, and to possibly launch and scale products across Ecobank’s 33 country markets in the continent.
Check out other posts from MCGH.
- New Safaricom app brings security, better UI, more user control
- Facebook to open first Africa engineering office in Lagos, Nigeria
- U.S. State Department announces the U.S. – Africa Tech Challenge
- Surface Duo review roundup, this is what all your favourite YouTubers are saying
- Dimension Data Group consolidates, rebrands subsidiaries in the Middle East and Africa
- GitHub hosts first event for developers in Africa
- Microsoft is confirming the design and $299 price of its latest console, Xbox Series S
- Microsoft introduces StartDevChange event for beginners in tech
- Kenyan graduates, interns to receive Microsoft training and certification
- Microsoft is recruiting graduates to its Student2Business Programme, Apply!