To help make virtual meetings look natural as well as encourage more engagements, Microsoft announces ‘Together Mode’ in Teams.
With Together Mode, Microsoft uses AI segmentation technology to digitally place meeting participants in a shared background. Making participants feel like they are in the same room. The feature tries to imitate a real environment so much that participants can lean over and tap each other or make eye contacts.
It doesn’t use the traditional grid boxes, instead, Microsoft is introducing new environments. Starting with an auditorium view now and hopes to roll out new views in the future.
Microsoft notes that focusing on other people’s faces and body language is important to human interaction. This, research shows reduces the chances of experiencing fatigue during video meetings and interactions.
Here is a video of how the feature works.
“Today we’re announcing a set of new features in Microsoft Teams that make virtual interactions more natural, more engaging, and ultimately, more human“, shares Jared Spataro, Corporate Vice President for Microsoft 365.
“It’s all about enabling people everywhere to collaborate, to stay connected, and to discover new ways to be productive from anywhere“, he continues.
The feature comes in a set of updates that will be rolling out to the Microsoft Teams collaboration solution. Other new features are dynamic view, video filter, live reactions, Cortana in Teams, chat bubbles and suggested replies.
Check out some of the new features in action.
Check out other stories from the Africa and Middle East ecosystem.
- Data Analyst, Microsoft Leap program cohort is launching in Lagos
- ASUS introduces new laptops at CES 2021 Be Ahead event
- TCL announces new 5G mobile, tablet, wearable devices at CES 2021 Experience More event
- World’s first Artificial Intelligence university welcomes first students
- A self-caring planting system controlled by AI, New Garden
- Nigeria FG, Microsoft to make Nigeria’s tech space most viable in Africa
- The “coolest” new computer device, meet Raspberry Pi-powered robotics kit, pi-top 
- Blue Prism brings enterprise-grade intelligent robotic process automation to Azure
- This computer vision innovation will make it easy to make M-PESA business payments
- Tech4Dev, Microsoft empower women in Nigeria with tech skills