To help make virtual meetings look natural as well as encourage more engagements, Microsoft announces ‘Together Mode’ in Teams.
With Together Mode, Microsoft uses AI segmentation technology to digitally place meeting participants in a shared background. Making participants feel like they are in the same room. The feature tries to imitate a real environment so much that participants can lean over and tap each other or make eye contacts.
It doesn’t use the traditional grid boxes, instead, Microsoft is introducing new environments. Starting with an auditorium view now and hopes to roll out new views in the future.
Microsoft notes that focusing on other people’s faces and body language is important to human interaction. This, research shows reduces the chances of experiencing fatigue during video meetings and interactions.
Here is a video of how the feature works.
“Today we’re announcing a set of new features in Microsoft Teams that make virtual interactions more natural, more engaging, and ultimately, more human“, shares Jared Spataro, Corporate Vice President for Microsoft 365.
“It’s all about enabling people everywhere to collaborate, to stay connected, and to discover new ways to be productive from anywhere“, he continues.
The feature comes in a set of updates that will be rolling out to the Microsoft Teams collaboration solution. Other new features are dynamic view, video filter, live reactions, Cortana in Teams, chat bubbles and suggested replies.
Check out some of the new features in action.
Check out other stories from the Africa and Middle East ecosystem.
- 1150 students participate in UmojaHack Africa 2021 ML hackathon
- Microsoft is inviting female software engineers in Nigeria and Ghana to participate in a SE skills workshop
- 60 students across Nigeria and Kenya participate in Microsoft Hackathon
- Zimbabwean company gets Microsoft OEM certification, produces Infinity laptop and desktop computers
- Nigerian tech startup develops online meeting solution
- 1.1M Africans acquire digital skills during COVID-19
- Kenya student team qualifies for Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal Wireless Headphones for Xbox, price and specs
- 30 million learners participate in the free Microsoft digital skills initiative
- Accelerex to launch RexPay and RexRetail in Q2 of 2021