Google is hosting the second edition of its now special Africa event from October 5th to 7th 2022. Google leaders will highlight new global products and updates specific to Africa, and share updates on its multi-billion investments across the continent during the event.
The Google for Africa 2022 event will be an online-only event and not in-person this year as well. It will kick off at the following times across the region: 9 AM GMT, 10 AM WAT, 11 AM CAT, 12 PM EAT, and 11 AM SAT. We are not sure if the company will still go ahead and hold the usual country-specific mini-events later on.
This is how the Google for Africa 2022 event invite reads.
“Join us for the second virtual Google for Africa event as we share how we are delivering on [our] commitment and how we are building the future together. Join us to learn how Google is invested in Africa’s digital transformation“.
As is the norm at Google Africa events it will have two parts, a keynote and masterclass sessions. A forty-five-minute keynote session on the 5th of October 2022 led by Google and Alphabet CEO, Sundar Pichai. Then 13 masterclass sessions on the 6th and 7th of October, targeted at YouTube creators, business founders, NGOs, IT pros and developers.
This year the company introduces a career path to Google session for tech and non-tech talent looking to work at Google. Masterclasses will cover areas like SMB growth, digital advertising, nonprofit management, YouTube Shorts, AI and Google cloud.
Last year Google announced plans to invest $1 billion over five years to support initiatives including startups and connectivity. It launched an African Investment Fund to invest $50 million in startups and provide $10 million in low-interest loans to small businesses and entrepreneurs in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and South Africa through the non-profit Kiva. Google announced plans to scale a program started in Kenya in partnership with Safaricom that allows customers to pay for 4G-enabled phones in instalments across the continent with partners such as Airtel, M-KOPA, MTN, Orange, Transsion Holdings and Vodacom. It also launched Plus Codes for streets without addresses and YouTube Shorts for creators.
MCGH will follow the event and will bring you updates from the Google for Africa 2022 virtual event. Missed the previous event? Watch the keynote highlights below.
- Microsoft to introduce new innovations at October 12 event
- Google sets a special Africa event for October 5, 2022
- How much money do I need to start trading?
- Tecno introduces CAMON 19 Pro Mondrian with sunlight drawing technology
- New iPhone 14, Apple Watch Ultra – Apple September 2022 event in 2 minutes
- Kunle Awosika heads Microsoft Africa Transformation Office in new company reorg
- Airtel brings Microsoft Cloud Services to businesses in Uganda
- 2022 Ecobank Fintech Challenge opens with $50K prize money
- Azure Availability Zones now generally available in Microsoft UAE datacenters
- Microsoft’s new cloud datacenter region in Qatar finally goes live