Microsoft United Arab Emirates (UAE) lights up the tallest building in the world to announce the launch of Windows 11. The company did this on the eve of the official release date to draw attention to the announcement. The iconic building was covered in blue, the new bloom wallpaper, Windows logo and Windows 11 inscription.
It’s a monumental day for Windows fans, and the Burj Khalifa is helping us celebrate #Windows11 in a big way.
Windows 11 is official today October 5th with Microsoft making it generally available to the public. However, Microsoft will use a measured and phased rollout process to bring it to existing devices that meet the upgrade requirements. Microsoft says it expects all eligible Windows 10 devices to get the upgrade by mid-2022. So you don’t have to worry if it doesn’t immediately show up in Windows update in settings.
Earlier in the day, Panos Panay, Microsoft Chief Product Officer, Windows + Devices. shared a message which seemed to suggest Microsoft was releasing the upgrade ahead of the scheduled date. But the statement below suggests otherwise, noting the upgrade becomes available as each time zone crosses to the 5th.
As the day becomes October 5 in each time zone around the world, availability of Windows 11 begins through a free upgrade on eligible Windows 10 PCs and on new PCs.
This isn’t the first time a company has lighted up the Burj Khalifa to announce a product or service. LinkedIn, a Microsoft subsidiary lighted up the building in 2019 to announce its Open for Business feature.
Update: 2:47 pm – updated to correct the wallpaper name from glow to bloom.
Check out other stories making the news in the technology ecosystem in Africa and the Middle East.
- BookFun 11, Intel and GEEKOM launch professional gaming laptop
- New Infinix INBOOK X2 laptop launches with ultra-thin body
- Microsoft is set to acquire Activision Blizzard at $68.7 billion and become the world’s third-largest gaming company
- TravelMate B3 and TravelMate Spin B3, Acer announces new Windows 11 laptops for education
- Turn your mobile phone into a fully automated cameraman with Blink Focos
- Doogee V20, date de lancement et prix révélés
- Doogee V20’s launch date and price finally revealed
- TCL BOOK 14 Go, TCL introduces $349 laptop
- Dell XPS 13 Plus (9320) laptop, full device specification and price
- Targus announces EcoSmart backpack with built-in Apple ‘Find My’ technology