12 teams made up of 60 university students across Kenya and Nigeria are participating in the second season of the Microsoft Africa Development Center, Game of Learners (GOL) virtual hackathon.
Over five weeks, the teams will take on the challenge of solving the education accessibility problems in Africa using technology. They will develop a solution, corresponding code and shippable product that will be judged by Microsoft and partners. Each team is led and captained by a Microsoft Learn Student Ambassador.
The students will get access to developer resources and learn new technologies to build their products. Assisted by 40 volunteers from Microsoft who will train, mentor and coach them.
Meet the 12 Microsoft Hackathon Teams
Blooming education in Africa – Team Bloom
Team Crowducate – Crowd for education
Education to all – Team Elimisha
Team Kaizen – Change for better education
Making quality education accessible to Africans – Team Blazers
Team Tulearn –
Empowering every student – Team Eagle
Team Elite – Next stop, mass education
Aim for the peak – Team Peak
Where Africans can all be sabis – Team Sabi
Team Shauku –
Each member of the winning team will be awarded with one year Azure credits, one year LinkedIn Learning vouchers, digital certificate and digital badge for winning and one on one mentorship from preferred professionals.
A mobile-based medical application dubbed RemD (Remote Doctor) emerged as the winner of the 1st season of the Game of Learners (GOL) competition.
Follow the journey of the teams on social media platforms using the hashtag #GameOfLearners.
Check out other stories making the news in the technology ecosystem in Africa and the Middle East.
- GitHub Sponsors is now available to open source developers in Africa
- Microsoft SITA Ndivho Innovation Centre opens in Pretoria to empower innovators, SMMEs
- Mint Group wins 2022 Microsoft Partner of the year South Africa country award
- Safaricom, Microsoft launch Digital Talent Program to address talent shortage
- Green Wavers win season 3 of Microsoft university student hackathon
- Sell Harvest wins N2.5M at Microsoft Agro-Tech Hackathon NG
- PayAngel to innovate faster with the Microsoft Founders Hub opportunity
- Visa, Flocash introduce Flostore to help small businesses accept digital payments
- 2022 Microsoft Partner of the year Africa award winners
- Microsoft opens new innovation hub in Lusail, Qatar