Opera is launching a new product called ‘Hype’ with the pilot progam rolling out in Kenya. Hype is an integrated chat service built into Opera’s mobile web browser, Opera Mini. The chat service is launching first in Africa.
Opera notes Opera mini web users in Kenya can set up an account and start using the service immediately. The company is also partnering with local communication companies Safaricom and Airtel to boost the adoption of Hype by offering free daily browsing.
Chat service, Hype, the company notes, offers secure end-to-end encryption. It will also be the world’s first mobile web browser with an integrated chat service.
Product Lead for Hype, Charles Hamel, says Hype is developed with African consumers in mind.
“Today, 40% of the Kenyan population has access to smartphones, with younger generations becoming early adopters of technology. With such demographics, there is massive potential for the growth of Hype in Kenya.Charles Hamel, Product Lead for Hype
On top of that, we are also partnering with Safaricom and Airtel, the leading carriers in the country, offering free daily browsing to all Opera Mini users. We believe the combination of these factors will lead to the rapid adoption of Hype in the country.”
The chat service also comes with stickers desgined by Kenyan artists Brian Omolo and Lulu Kitololo.
Check out other stories making the news across Africa and Middle East region.
- 1150 students participate in UmojaHack Africa 2021 ML hackathon
- Microsoft is inviting female software engineers in Nigeria and Ghana to participate in a SE skills workshop
- 60 students across Nigeria and Kenya participate in Microsoft Hackathon
- Zimbabwean company gets Microsoft OEM certification, produces Infinity laptop and desktop computers
- Nigerian tech startup develops online meeting solution
- 1.1M Africans acquire digital skills during COVID-19
- Kenya student team qualifies for Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship
- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay Portal Wireless Headphones for Xbox, price and specs
- 30 million learners participate in the free Microsoft digital skills initiative
- Accelerex to launch RexPay and RexRetail in Q2 of 2021