Opera is launching a new product called ‘Hype’ with the pilot progam rolling out in Kenya. Hype is an integrated chat service built into Opera’s mobile web browser, Opera Mini. The chat service is launching first in Africa.
Opera notes Opera mini web users in Kenya can set up an account and start using the service immediately. The company is also partnering with local communication companies Safaricom and Airtel to boost the adoption of Hype by offering free daily browsing.
Chat service, Hype, the company notes, offers secure end-to-end encryption. It will also be the world’s first mobile web browser with an integrated chat service.
Product Lead for Hype, Charles Hamel, says Hype is developed with African consumers in mind.
“Today, 40% of the Kenyan population has access to smartphones, with younger generations becoming early adopters of technology. With such demographics, there is massive potential for the growth of Hype in Kenya.Charles Hamel, Product Lead for Hype
On top of that, we are also partnering with Safaricom and Airtel, the leading carriers in the country, offering free daily browsing to all Opera Mini users. We believe the combination of these factors will lead to the rapid adoption of Hype in the country.”
The chat service also comes with stickers desgined by Kenyan artists Brian Omolo and Lulu Kitololo.
Check out other stories making the news across Africa and Middle East region.
- You can now play Microsoft Flight Simulator on an Xbox console
- Ecobank Group partners with Microsoft to upskill SMEs in 33 countries in Africa
- TECNO Phantom X, premium model price and camera spotlight
- 2021 Microsoft Partner of the year Africa Award winners
- Digital SA Nation and Microsoft announce new digital space
- HP Pavilion Aero 13 Laptop PC, device specifications and price
- Dynamics 365 Business Central is now available in Africa and the Middle East
- Kuwait leaders to maximize the use of smart technologies in new Microsoft AI program
- Get Microsoft Office 365 for Free, here is how to
- Can Zuku 5 Mbps internet enable learning?