Azure, A-z-u-r-e, Az-ure, what is the pronunciation? People have pronounced this word in various forms and manners to my hearing, I included. But is there a right way to pronounce the name of Microsoft’s cloud computing platform?
We have heard Microsoft executives and employees pronounce this word during conferences and meetings and sometimes it varies as well depending on who and where. You’ll think that because this is a company product, the adoption of its name globally will be one and same.
I remember at least two such meetings in Lagos and Nairobi where Azure was pronounced differently to what i knew and how i pronounce it. Technically i believe my way of pronunciation is right, just as they do lol. I also remember having arguments on what it should be with friends.
So is there a right way? I’m sorry to disappoint you yes there is. But according to Microsoft, it is exactly how you pronounce it. Phew! That’s a relief, right?
The Microsoft Azure team posted a video to mark 11 years of the service. It shows several people from across the globe pronouncing the name of the service differently. But some going with the way Microsoft executives such as Scott Guthrie and Satya Nadella pronounce it.
A Microsoft employee in the video says “The reason why we picked Azure is because then anyone can pronounce it anyway they want“.
However you say it, Microsoft Azure is proud to be your partner in the cloud. Celebrate 11 years of inventing with purpose and tell us how you say Azure. #HowISayAzure pic.twitter.com/VoVlBoSoYp— Microsoft Azure (@Azure) February 1, 2021
Azure is an English word which means “bright blue in colour like a cloudless sky”. Symbolism to the adapted colour and design of the Microsoft cloud service. Which seems to be all it adapted, not really taking the pronunciation of the original Azure word.
So feel free to pronounce it however you feel like or desire as you were never wrong in the first place. And don’t let anyone like me tell you you are doing so wrong, lol.
Check out other stories making the news across Africa and Middle East region.
- Kenya team wins Microsoft Imagine Cup World Championship
- IT teams at risk of being caught unawares by new OT threat, according to Microsoft’s latest threat intelligence
- The ROG Ally: A Next-Gen handheld gaming machine
- New AI solutions and improvements to Microsoft Cloud for Nonprofit
- PowerShot V10, Canon introduces lightweight and easy-to-use vlogging camera
- Cross-border payments in Africa, the state in 2023
- LG gram SuperSlim: The Thinnest LG gram Ever
- Young African Leaders Initiative and Microsoft Africa Development Centre partner to improve youth digital skills
- Microsoft to host maiden Xbox Game Studios Game Camp in Africa
- Here are simple ways to fix Windows 11 problems