Rwanda Coding Academy will receive one hundred and fifty thousand US Dollars in a new grant agreement between the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Ministry of ICT and Innovation in Rwanda.
The grant fund is sponsored by the Rockefeller Trust Fund and administered by AfDB. It will go into financing on-job training for teachers. As well as equipping the school with the equipment to facilitate an ultra-modern innovation center.
The academy is a special model school set up by the Rwandan government to develop technology talent. That will drive the booming innovation-driven digital economy in Rwanda. The academy trains students in software development, embedded systems programming and Cyber-Security.
“The Rwanda Coding Academy is part of our broader vision to grow a local pool of highly talented Pan-African workforce in science, technology and innovation“, shares Paula Ingabire, Minister for ICT and Innovation.
Nnenna Nwabufo, Acting Director General for the African Development Bank’s Eastern Region notes “this proof-of-concept has profound implications on how the education sector can adopt an effective response to the persistent skills mismatches in the labour market, not only in Rwandan but in Africa at large.”
The coding Academy is a 3-year program opened to high school graduates.
It has an intake of sixty students per year, recruiting 30 sets of boys and girls for each year to encourage gender diversity.
It is currently piloting in Nyabihu District in the Western province of Rwanda with plans to scale the academy in each province. That will onboard about three hundred students each year.
Check out other stories making the news from the region.
- A big decision: switching from Playstation to Xbox
- 5 ways you can make money with technology
- Here are tips on how to become a successful content creator in 2023
- Microsoft launches student hackathon, targets solutions for the health sector
- 3 things web designers can learn from the gambling industry
- Microsoft, OCP Africa to improve farmer productivity with digital agriculture platform
- Usage Tips: How Does Technology Affect Your Health?
- The top 10 biggest events in AI in the month of March
- Microsoft launches technical skill-enhancement program for university lecturers.
- Students from Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa qualify for the 2023 Microsoft Imagine Cup world finals
- TECNO MegaBook S1 2023, device specifications and price
- Microsoft and OpenAI: A Winning Combination for AI Era?