Social coding and software development platform, GitHub, announces its first-ever event for developers in Africa.
The event will be in the form of a virtual meetup and will take place on Tuesday, September 15, 2020, from 3 pm to 5 pm WAT or 6 pm to 8 am EAT.
The event will kickstart a series of monthly online meetups geared towards building a vibrant community in the region. The meetups will inform on the latest GitHub workflows, latest features and how one can contribute to Open Source.
The events will feature speakers from GitHub as well as other prominent Open Source maintainers from Africa.
Click to sign up and be part of the first GitHub event in Africa.
Last year, GitHub CEO, Nat Freidman, visited Nigeria and Ghana to meet with developers and entrepreneurs. Learning about how “GitHub can be of service” as Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company broadens its horizons as a developer-centric company. He also shared that GitHub will be looking to hire remote developers from Africa soon.
Developers on the African continent have become one of the major contributors to the GitHub platform. With Egypt, Nigeria and Algeria recognized as the fastest-growing countries by open-source repositories created.
In the 2018 GitHub Octoverse regional report, Nigeria represented the fourth fastest-growing developer community on GitHub. With 1.6x as many contributors in 2018 than in 2017.
Check out what’s new on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to follow for the latest videos and news in the ecosystem.
- 5 African fintech startups to watch in 2023
- 3 ways blockchain technology lets small businesses in Africa overcome barriers and unlock new opportunities
- A big decision: switching from Playstation to Xbox
- 5 ways you can make money with technology
- Here are tips on how to become a successful content creator in 2023
- Microsoft launches student hackathon, targets solutions for the health sector
- 3 things web designers can learn from the gambling industry
- Microsoft, OCP Africa to improve farmer productivity with digital agriculture platform
- Usage Tips: How Does Technology Affect Your Health?
- The top 10 biggest events in AI in the month of March