Social coding and software development platform, GitHub, announces its first-ever event for developers in Africa.
The event will be in the form of a virtual meetup and will take place on Tuesday, September 15, 2020, from 3 pm to 5 pm WAT or 6 pm to 8 am EAT.
The event will kickstart a series of monthly online meetups geared towards building a vibrant community in the region. The meetups will inform on the latest GitHub workflows, latest features and how one can contribute to Open Source.
The events will feature speakers from GitHub as well as other prominent Open Source maintainers from Africa.
Click to sign up and be part of the first GitHub event in Africa.
Last year, GitHub CEO, Nat Freidman, visited Nigeria and Ghana to meet with developers and entrepreneurs. Learning about how “GitHub can be of service” as Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company broadens its horizons as a developer-centric company. He also shared that GitHub will be looking to hire remote developers from Africa soon.
Developers on the African continent have become one of the major contributors on the GitHub platform. With Egypt, Nigeria and Algeria recognized as fastest-growing countries by open source repositories created.
In the 2018 GitHub Octoverse regional report, Nigeria represented the fourth fastest-growing developer community on GitHub. With 1.6x as many contributors in 2018 than in 2017.
Check out other stories from the ecosystem.
- New Safaricom app brings security, better UI, more user control
- Facebook to open first Africa engineering office in Lagos, Nigeria
- U.S. State Department announces the U.S. – Africa Tech Challenge
- Surface Duo review roundup, this is what all your favourite YouTubers are saying
- Dimension Data Group consolidates, rebrands subsidiaries in the Middle East and Africa
- GitHub hosts first event for developers in Africa
- Microsoft is confirming the design and $299 price of its latest console, Xbox Series S
- Microsoft introduces StartDevChange event for beginners in tech
- Kenyan graduates, interns to receive Microsoft training and certification
- Microsoft is recruiting graduates to its Student2Business Programme, Apply!