Microsoft announces a new Africa Research Institute (MARI) as its latest investment on the continent.
The Microsoft Africa Research Institute according to the company will focus on foundational research to improve productivity in areas such as work, health and society.
The research institute will be co-located in the Microsoft Africa Development Centre site in Nairobi, Kenya.
Microsoft notes that MARI’s mission is to understand how technologies such as cloud and AI help to solve local challenges. As well as how this understanding can be used to influence product creation and unearthing opportunities.
“I am excited to see what we can achieve with this new project, around new ways of work, social development, financial inclusion, and economic growth in Africa, shares MARI director, Jacki O’Neill.
We hope to not only help solve many challenges Africa is facing but address global challenges as well,” she concludes.
MARI will integrate foundational research with product development shares the company. By bringing together researchers, engineers, designers, local academic institutions and the community to build talent and encourage a two-way flow of ideas.
We are seeing some really fantastic momentum in our work at the Microsoft Africa Development Center (ADC). And this new research institute will help us
“We are very focused on how innovative cloud technology is driving the future development of the continent. The work this team is seeking to do align closely with our overall goals for the ADC,” he continues.
- Microsoft appoints Salima Amira as Country Manager for Morocco
- Windows 11 leak shows the new Start menu
- Standard Bank partners with Microsoft to establish the African Digital Foundry
- Liquid Intelligent Technologies opens first Innovation and Digital Skills Centre in Mthatha, South Africa
- Xbox Bethesda Games Showcase: here is how to watch
- itel ABLE 1 laptop, full device specs and price
- Microsoft announces winners of the Imagine Cup Junior AI for Good Challenge 2021
- What’s next for Xbox? Here is what is new and coming in the future to Gaming at Microsoft
- Future Ni Digital skills program kicks off in Kariobangi
- Samsung Galaxy Book Go and Galaxy Book Go 5G specs, price, availability date