Microsoft announced the Africa Development Center with plans to recruit about 100 full-time software engineers by the end of 2019. Latest details show the company is far from reaching this target. As only about seventy roles and positions have been filled as at January 2020.
Jack Ngare, Managing Director, Africa Development Center Kenya, made this revelation speaking as a panelist on the Monday Report’s town hall session on Citizen TV Kenya. The town hall discussion was on the ‘Future of work – Rethinking Our Education, Training in Relation to Work Opportunities’.
Jack was answering a question on if Microsoft considers only technical skills for employment. He shared the “Africa development center is nearing seventy [software] engineers. We recognize at a lot of things related to skills. The last thing we look at is your university degree. We have a couple of engineers who did not go to university. These are Kenyans we are talking about. We respect more the skills and what your capabilities are. Your work ethics and attitude towards work.”
He noted that Microsoft is pumping resources into organizations through partnerships such as the AppFactory with Africa Digital Media Institute to upskill students.
Watch Microsoft Africa Development Center recruitment conversation below.
Microsoft plans to recruitment 500 software engineers for the Africa Development Center by 2023.
- ASUS introduces new laptops at CES 2021 Be Ahead event
- TCL announces new 5G mobile, tablet, wearable devices at CES 2021 Experience More event
- World’s first Artificial Intelligence university welcomes first students
- A self-caring planting system controlled by AI, New Garden
- Nigeria FG, Microsoft to make Nigeria’s tech space most viable in Africa
- The “coolest” new computer device, meet Raspberry Pi-powered robotics kit, pi-top 
- Blue Prism brings enterprise-grade intelligent robotic process automation to Azure
- This computer vision innovation will make it easy to make M-PESA business payments
- Tech4Dev, Microsoft empower women in Nigeria with tech skills