We look back at 2019 and acknowledge the year had some amazing surprises and announcements from Microsoft. Especially in the Africa and Middle East region where we focus. Let’s take you through some of these exciting moments through pictures.
Microsoft announced “we are consolidating our learning resources and retiring Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA).” The company however has a more modern and update learning page available to learn new skills and technologies.
Microsoft lights up the Gulf startup scene, supporting over 4000 startups across the Middle East and North Africa region.
Microsoft announces evolved multi-million dollar Equity Equivalent Investment Programme for the South African economy.
Team Athena-IO from Tunisia, came in second place at the Europe Middle East and Africa Imagine Cup regional final championship qualifying round.
Microsoft opens second Policy Innovation Centre in partnership with the University of Pretoria and the South Africa Department of Science and Technology.
This year Microsoft opened its Global Tuition Scholarship to students in Nigeria.
Kenyan environment and health reporter, Verah Okeyo, wins Microsoft Modern Journalism and ICFJ Alumni reporting grant program award.
The shock announcement of the year! Microsoft opening a development center in Africa. The cognition or mixed reality team to be located in Lagos, Nigeria and the Windows team in Nairobi, Kenya.
Microsoft plans to invest a combined expected investment of US $100 million over the first five years of operation. The company will also recruit 500 software engineers across the two sites by the year 2023.
Upepo Technology, Kenya recieves Microsoft AI for Earth grant in the area of water innovation.
Nat Friedman, GitHub CEO and Microsoft Corporate Vice President, was in top GitHub contribution country Nigeria to interact with developers.
Microsoft announces two new cloud regions in the United Arab Emirates. The datacenters will be located in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Women innovators in Kenya, South Africa, the United Arab Emirates to benefit from global expansion of Women in Cloud and IdeaGen Microsoft Cloud Accelerator Program.
- Unleashed, Watch Apple Event – October 18
- GITEX Global 2021, Microsoft showcases next-generation smart city solutions
- Azure availability zones now available in South Africa
- TECNO to deploy Android 12 on HiOS 8.5 for CAMON 17 and PHANTOM X
- 15 startups selected for the first cohort of the Microsoft GrowthX Accelerator program
- 400k South Africans participate in Microsoft skills initiative
- Nedbank launches low bandwidth DigiSkills training platform in partnership with Microsoft
- Unboxing, First Impression and Review of the Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio
- itel Spirit 1 laptop, full device specs and price