Windows 10 Mobile is finally available for older Windows devices running Windows Phone 8.1 OS.
Windows 10 Mobile is here at last for older Windows phone devices after months of waiting and rescheduling of Microsoft’s big update for mobile with respect to the one Windows ecosystem. Windows 10 mobile has been available officially since the release of the new devices, that come preinstalled with them.
Microsoft has been working to make this upgrade available to most if not all existing windows phone 8 and 8.1 devices, probably a reason for the delay.
The phones and devices list released by Microsoft, upgradeable to Windows 10 mobile are;
- Lumia 1520
- Lumia 930
- Lumia 640
- Lumia 640XL
- Lumia 730
- Lumia 735
- Lumia 830
- Lumia 532
- Lumia 535
- Lumia 540
- Lumia 635 1GB
- Lumia 636 1GB
- Lumia 638 1GB
- Lumia 430
- Lumia 435
- BLU Win HD w510u
- BLU Win HD LTE x150q
- MCJ Madosma Q501
Microsoft recommends that you download the UPGRADE ADVISOR app (for free, from store). This app will check on your hardware and storage and make sure you are set and ready for the upgrade installation. What this also means is that you’ll need to be running the upgradeable windows phone version of 8.1 GDR1 QFE8 or later.
Windows 10 Mobile upgrade is an OTA (over-the-air) update as such you’ll need to connect to a wifi for this. The upgrade size could be at least 1.4 GB or more depending on your device.
Even if you meet all requirements Microsoft still has a word of advise for you if you don’t see the update immediately,
The availability of Windows 10 Mobile as an upgrade for existing Windows Phone 8.1 devices varies by device manufacturer, device model, country or region, mobile operator or service provider, hardware limitations and other factors.
So you what do I do if I joined the Windows Insiders and i’m already running the latest Windows 10 Mobile preview builds? Well you are actually up to date. If you don’t want to run preview builds any longer switch to the production flight and at the next update you’ll be set to normal. If you want to continue with the preview nothing changes for you.
If you do the upgrade and want to get back into the insider preview builds, you might have to check from this list if your device has been added.
Depending on your device there might be some features that will go missing and there are some other requirements for certain features to function. Microsoft lists them here;
When you install the Windows 10 upgrade, some features currently on your device will be modified or removed, including the following:
- Notifications for missed calls, messages and emails on contact tiles is not supported at the time of Windows 10 Mobile release.
- Me Tile and Me Card are no longer supported.
- Cortana can no longer search for apps, settings, email, text messages, contacts and QR Codes on the device and can no longer open apps through voice commands.
- “Hey Cortana” is no longer available on some upgraded devices.
- Group tiles can no longer be used to receive social networking status updates.
- Indoor Maps are no longer available for some locations.
- Certain enterprise features, including Data Protection Under Lock, are not available. Please contact your Microsoft Volume Licensing representative for more information.
- At time of Windows 10 Mobile release Outlook Mail app cannot open .EML attachments.
- The Outlook Calendar app does not support Tasks.
- The MDM functionality to prevent saving and sharing Office documents is not supported.
Additional requirements to use certain features
- Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, India, Canada (English), Australia, and Japan.
- Speech-to-text is only currently available on Windows 10 in the United States (English), United Kingdom (English), China (Simplified Chinese), France (French), Italy (Italian), Spain (Spanish), Germany (German), Canada (English), Australia (English), India (English) and Japan (Japanese).
- Speech recognition, including Cortana, will vary by device.
- At launch, Windows Hello is limited to selected premium phones and requires specialised hardware, including illuminated infrared camera sensor for facial recognition or a fingerprint reader that supports the Window Biometric Framework. To check for device compatibility and other important information, visit your device manufacturer’s website.
- Continuum for phones will be limited to selected premium phones. Feature requires external monitor with DisplayPort, HDMI connector or compatible adaptor, and accessories that are compatible with Continuum for phones. All sold separately. App availability and experience vary by device and market.
- Office 365 subscription required for some Office features.
- Music and video streaming through Groove Music (formerly Xbox Music) or Films & TV apps is not available in all regions. For the most up-to-date list of regions, please go to the Xbox on Windows website.
- Xbox app and some games and features only available in Xbox Live-supported countries and regions. You can see the list at Xbox Live Countries and Regions website
- Skype available only in select countries and regions. Calling to select countries and regions only. Excludes special, premium and non-geographic numbers. For details, visit the Office FAQ page
- Microsoft account required for some features.